I think they say it takes much more than that to really know
someone.
So in some ways, I feel somewhat unqualified to pay tribute
to Eric since I've known him for only about 1/34ths of his life.
I am sure there are many others, perhaps one in particular,
who could be a more credible source on the topic of Eric James Klein.
That said, I love birthdays, and Eric just had his 35th one. I think birthdays are a perfect opportunity to pay tribute to people you love. And I adore Eric. So here is my tribute:
Since we have known each other for such a short time, it may
be easy to wonder what has attracted me to him and why I have felt so closely
tied to him.
Underneath his perhaps sarcastic and straight-edged exterior
is a soulful person who truly cares for those around him. Even though sometimes I admittedly get
irritated at his sarcasm, it is that humor and sarcasm that really attracted me
to him. He's clever and witty, and
thereby, he helps ease tensions and focus on the humorous irony of life. And then when you can uncover that clever
sarcasm, it's easy to see that Eric really cares for those around him. I can see that when I watch him with the
girls. I can see that as I watch him
help my parents. I can also see that in
the way he treats me. Ultimately, he
avoids hurtful judgments and he just wants to love and be loved. I appreciate that so very, very much.
Eric has a great ability to empathize and not judge
people. He has an ability to reach out
to those around him with that quiet demeanor of understanding. If at times, he gets frustrated with others
or just at life in general, it doesn't take long for him to come back to center
and display that abiding and quiet understanding that lives inside him. I watch this happen all the time. It happens in his interactions with his
daughters, to be sure. But I especially
notice it in his interactions with me as his wife. Anyone who's married knows it takes a measure
of patience and understanding to get along with a spouse. I appreciate that even in his times of
doubting me, he has a heart of understanding that tends to ease those tensions
create mutual faith in each other.
I have to say that one of the qualities I love the absolute
most about him would be his total lack of pretentiousness. Seriously.
Consider the definition of the word "pretentious": It means to "attempt
to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is
actually possessed." As I have
gotten older and experienced more of this wonderful, yet horrible world, there
is one thing I may not hate much more than that terrible attitude of
pretentiousness. How I despise being
around people who spend enormous amounts of time and energy trying to
constantly prove or show or "one-up" in this sometimes endless life
of competition. Sometimes his
lack of such ambitions in life make me laugh.
Eric is legitimate and down-to-earth, and I appreciate that. If he has an ambition or motivation, it isn't
so he can prove anything. It's just to
be himself. That is what I strive for in
my own self, and I love seeing that in my mate.
Such lack of pretentiousness also makes him less of a social
butterfly. I am more naturally an introvert, so I relate to him and take solace
in our shared personalities. At times
when I feel a bit more extroverted, he's usually a pretty good sport about
following suit.
I think it's obvious that Eric and I were initially attracted to each other because we shared some common experiences with our widowhoods. While that is just one commonality, it is a big one. Having our similar stories has created a welcome bond between us. It goes without saying that the experiences we've had in losing our spouses have changed us forever. And there are not a lot of people out there that can understand what that change means for your heart and mind and soul. I love that Eric's heart and mind and soul are so closely connected to mine in that regard.
At this point, I think I've uncovered many of Eric's desirable qualities, but there is one wonderful quality he possesses that I cannot neglect to mention. He has a great bod. And I love that he has gotten himself in habits that nurture that great asset of his. It shows a lot about his killer self-discipline and unspoken dedication that now shows through in his physique. It has taken dedication, I know, and that is something he has. He is dedicated and reliable.
So until next year, Eric, read this as proof that I love you! --For the reasons listed here, and much, much more. Thank you for all your wonderful traits that make you out to be one of my very best friends. Here's to another year, Darlin'.
![]() |
| One of his birthday presents was a shadow box of his marathon memorabalia. |
![]() |
| At his party with my family at our house. |
![]() |
| The birthday boy at Boondocks. |
![]() |
| Zimmerman kids! So cute. |












You did a pretty great job of describing such a cool guy. He may not technically be related to me anymore, but I will always consider him my brother. Thanks for letting us celebrate his big day with you!
ReplyDelete