"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Thursday, November 22, 2012

My Dad...continued

On my last post, I wrote about my dad, and I got too tired to finish it.

I wanted to add to that post a list of some of my all-time favorite memories with Dad.  I'm sure I'll add more memories later on, but here are some for now:

1)  I LOVE the memory I have of Dad putting me, as a child, to bed each night.  I recount it often, because I love the memory so much.  Each night he would carry me in my room, lay on my bed with me, and pretend to fall asleep.  He'd do a pretend snoring sound, and I would say, "You can't go to sleep!  You don't have your jammies on!"  And then we'd talk some more and I'd ask him to turn my "van" on.  (my fan.) 

2)  As a teenager, and even as a young adult when I was living at home and going to college, my dad would make a point every morning of walking downstairs to my bathroom and saying goodbye to me before he left to work.  It would usually be about 6:30 a.m., and I'd still be doing my hair.  He'd be sure to ask me how I was and he'd tell me to have a good day.  Sometimes those conversations would turn into long conversations (some of which I remember), and sometimes they would be as simple as "Love ya, have a good day."  Regardless of how long or short, they meant a lot each time he did it.

3)  I remember going to San Francisco with my mom, dad, and sisters when I was in fifth grade.  My brother Chris was on a mission in Norway at that time.  We all fit ourselves in a little Honda Civic and drove through the night to get there.  I remember trying to sleep next to dad that night in the back of that tiny vehicle.  I remember he was wearing his cowboy boots (typical for Dad), and he was trying to huddle up and get some z's.  He snored like crazy and we were all totally uncomfortable.  It was still fun, though.  I have a picture in my childhood scrapbook that we took on that trip, and it's one I treasure.  It's me on the "curviest" road, holding Dad's hand, and looking at the camera with squinted eyes.  I'm so glad we captured that moment.  Just a fun memory.

4)  I love remembering how kind and affectionate Dad always was with me as a child.  He always gave me shoulder rides, back rubs, and he often let me ride on the riding lawn mower with him.  At night when I was little, he'd let me comb his hair and make him look silly.  He'd also let me try on his reading glasses and he'd share his Pepsi with me.  Loved it.

5)  Dad had a Mazda RX-7 when I was growing up.  When I thought of my dad in those days, I thought of his car.  They were synonymous with each other.  It was a fun, sporty little car.  As it grew older, it became, well....old.  My dad didn't mind, though.  He drove that car into the ground.  And then he got another one (same year.)  Gotta' love it.

6)   I couldn't write about my dad without talking about the past six years in which our family has faced death not once, but twice.  Watching my dad dealing with my brother Chris' death, and then dealing with me after Michael's death has deepened my love and respect for him.  How I appreciated his company on those days right after Michael died.  I'd often just spend the afternoons in his backyard, pushing Andi on the swing.  He'd always come out, pull up a chair, and sit with me in silence as I pushed the swing and stared off into the distance.  He was there with me, and I guess that's the whole point of all this.  He's always been with me and there for me.
I wrote the following about Dad last year on my other blog:

I have shared many a good conversation with my Dad this past year...He's been a voice of reason, a voice of wisdom, and even a voice of faith. He's helped me problem solve, he's encouraged positivity, and he's encouraged me to keep moving forward.
He's gone with me to many of my financial appointments and offered his valuable pieces of wisdom and guidance laced with a bit of humor. He's been by my side...as I've had to deal with people like financial advisors, people who've done work on my house, and people who help me with my car. He's been the first one to offer trust and faith in me as I have made some pretty big decisions the past while.   
...He's helped me problem solve as I've dealt with selling my houses, selling and buying a car, and making decisions about school. He's shed tears with me as we've continously discovered and observed the lasting goodness of Michael's legacy....He's worked beside me....even harder than me...as we moved us from Ogden to Farmington. No small task....He helped me put sealant on my basement floor. He's cleaned up my yard with me, made several trips to the dump, filled his truck with fertilizer for my yard.
He often calls or stops by just to check up on me...make sure I'm okay. He adores our Andi girl-- He chases her around the house, he gives her shoulder rides, he tickles her and gives her that physical affection she's so missing out on. He's spent hours and hours and hours on the trampoline with Andi, watching her jump or wrestling her. He'll push her on the swing for an entire afternoon if she asks. He's done Princess puzzles with her. He's often assigned to play Strawberry Shortcake's best friend, Blueberry, while Andi takes the role of Strawberry. Dad will often tease her by asking her if he can "be Strawberry this time," and unsurprisingly, Andi always turns him down. She calls him "Pa" and it's such an appropriate nickname. He's come to my house on early mornings so I can go to class or whatnot--He'll bring his newspaper and his Coke and wait 'til Andi gets up. Andi knows that when Pa's around for breakfast, he'll be sure to make her pancakes, get her juice, and cut up fruit for her. She loves it! So much so that when I want to make her oatmeal, she'll say she wants to go to Grandpa's for breakfast instead.
I'm not sure Dad's always loved my dog, but he sure has been nice to him this last year or so. Dad puts up with his snoring as Harry sleeps on his bed.  I think it's kinda' funny when I hear Dad yellin' at Harry to "get in here" or to "Come on, Harry!" I especially get a kick out of the memories Dad and I have made together as we've had to hose Harry down after he's been rolling in deer poop. Time and time and time again. Good times.
Dad has always been the kind of dad that exemplifies the phrase, "Once a parent, always a parent."  

 

So Dad, what else can I say?  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment