When I was in college taking classes for my English teaching degree, I had a writing professor that encouraged us to carry a notebook wherever we went so we could jot down our passing thoughts and ideas that we had throughout our days. The intention was to use those thoughts as a catalyst for future writing material. I loved that idea so much and have adopted that practice into my life. I have a notebook I carry around with me and I also use a notepad app on my phone. While I know much of what I record will never turn into some great piece of writing material that I can build upon, I still enjoy putting some of my thoughts into writing.
So in addition to sharing pictures and tidbits about our daily life, I also hope to record some of those thoughts here on this blog as a part of my new system.
Today's post--
Today while the girls were at school I met up with Eric at his work for our mandatory annual health insurance exam. I do not go to Eric's work anywhere near enough, so I was so glad for the opportunity. We had Millie with us during the exam and then we went to lunch at one of Eric's favorite places near his work--"Moochies." It was quite a meal! The food was enough to put you in a food coma.
| These two up to their usual shananigans. Eric enjoyed watching Millie try to feed herself a cup of water, as it constantly streamed down her shirt. One thing Eric has taught her is how to laugh. |
On the way there I was listening to NPR. They were spotlighting an author who wrote a lot about human suffering and how the pain we go through can be a great way for humankind to connect. Something he said that I liked was, "I don't remember all of those whom I've laughed with, but I will always remember those whom I've cried with." I believe that to be very true in my own life as well. For those whom I've shared tears with, they will forever be a part of me.
In addition, this man was reported as to be a counselor of sorts to people who were considering suicide. During these experiences, he got to a point where he had a hard time coping with the fact that people began to depend on him so much, yet offered him little gratitude or repayment of any kind. He said he had to get to the point where he had to decide that if he was going to keep helping others as he was, he needed to do it for himself with no expectation from others. It had to be for him. I liked that insight and feel it could be applied to some areas of my life. Sometimes in my efforts to give, I become resentful when I feel I receive little repayment. This man's message was a good reminder to give for the right reasons--including for my own sense of pride and fulfillment I get inside of me...Not in hopes of external repayment. Not saying that it's okay to get walked on....
Anyhow, this evening I had the rare chance to spend some time with my sisters, mom, and niece Lydia for a little "girl's night out." My mom is getting surgery next week so we're trying to help her live it up before she has to be down for a few months. I brought Millie with me because Eric had his hands full enough at home while I was gone.
| Millie chillin' with her cousin Lydia whom I adore |
| My sisters and mom. So nice to spend some time with them... |
When I came home last night, I found this picture in Andi's room. She drew it at church on Sunday as the beginning of her efforts to draw her family. Our days never go by without the reminder that our family is different, both for the good and sometimes the sad. Even though it makes me hurt that she doesn't have her Daddy Michael, I am so very glad she has Eric. Two very different men that I hope can remain strong influences in her life.
Also a reminder that all of our family members--on this side of the veil and the other side--are all family, and we all have a role to play.
| Michael, Eric, and Andi :) |
There are no words.
ReplyDelete