"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Friday, April 17, 2015

January 2015

A month like January 2015 doesn't happen very often.
It was a very eventful time for our family:

Here are the girls on New Year's Day (with bed heads and all) enjoying the gifts Grandma Janet brought them the night before.

On the last weekend of Christmas break, I took the girls to Classic Skating.  They got rollerblades for Christmas, so they had to try them out!
Abbey is getting to be a pro on rollerblades.

Ava was so brave and tried really hard with her new rollerblades on.

Andi's favorite part of skating at Classic is the music.  She loves skating to all the fun songs they play.

I quietly watched the girls skate as I stayed--stationary--on a chair.  I was very pregnant at this point (I ended up having the baby just a day after this.)  And to be honest, I was feeling very miserable. 
 The holidays really pushed me to my limits and I felt way bigger than I ever remember getting with Andi.  Suffice it to say I definitely felt older throughout this pregnancy as compared to Andi's.  I was more than ready to have this baby!

Here's the proof--She finally came!  

Amelia wasn't due until January 11th, but I kept telling Eric I'd be surprised if I made it that far.  I was continually experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions and the bouts of them got worse and worse throughout December.
On Saturday, January 3rd, I continued on with my usual to-dos, but knew deep inside I was very close to going into labor.  I remember saying to my mom that very afternoon that "I want this baby OUT!!"
At about 4:00 that afternoon, I was getting ready for the ladies in the Zimmerman family to pick me up for a dinner-slash-baby shower of sorts that we had planned on doing.  It was so kind of them, but I was also nervous at that point to be doing much since I felt so fragile.
I noticed at that point--at about 4 o'clock-- I was feeling some pretty heavy pains, but that was nothing terribly unusual for me at that stage in the game.
So I carried on and they picked me up around 4:30 or 5.  I of course told Eric to keep his phone on him, and then I sat in the car thinking to myself that the pains were feeling like the real thing.  I figured, though, if it got worse, I'd just need to get through dinner and then I could figure it out.

When we all sat down for dinner, I was definitely beginning to notice the contractions every few minutes.  Inside I was starting to fret, but I wasn't sure how to insert in the conversation that I needed to leave because I was in labor.  I was mortified with the whole idea of doing such a thing.  I could feel my cheeks turning red.  I kept having to change positions.  I was losing my clarity of thought as I tried to happily contribute to the conversation.
Luckily Beverly was insightful enough to say, "Lisa, are you having labor pains?"  And I gratefully said, "Well, actually, yeah..."
After being urged to write on a napkin how often they were coming, and after seeing a good pattern of 3 minute intervals, I knew I had no choice, so I texted Eric.
My dad raced to our house to watch the girls, Eric raced to Station Park to the restaurant we were at, and after eventually finding me, we headed to the hospital.
We arrived around 7.  Once 9 o'clock came around, I was in plenty of pain and I got an epidural.  They gave me a spinal this time and it was awesome.  A much better experience than I had with Andi's epidural.
Eric was quiet throughout the whole process and I'm pretty sure he wasn't sure what to think or how to act.  I knew these were the moments he was dreading, but I'll give him credit....He stayed in the room and was right there ready to take pictures. 
It took just two or three short pushes and at 10:23 p.m. on Saturday, January 3, 2015, little Amelia was with us.  


Look at that cute bum.




That's my baby girl.

So here's the thing--after having Andi (an incredible first-time experience with Michael) and then after going through all we have, I wasn't expecting such similar feelings of amazement after this birth.
But sure enough, that baby came out and I thought my heart was going to explode.
Such an incredible experience....so sweet and tender and yet life-altering at the same time.  What made it even more surprising and wonderful was that Eric and I experienced that goodness together....a desperately needed bonding experience for the two of us.
The Spirit was very much in the room when that little girl came.


Seriously....Look at that little munchkin.  Oh...I could just cry looking at this picture again.  :)


They let Eric and I just have her in our room for a good hour or two until they came back in to get her.  I think we both were feeling speechless at that point.



And then Eric got to escort her to the nursery.

Take note that Eric chose her first bow.  He reminded the girls of that several times. :)

The next morning, on Sunday, Eric went and got the girls.

Pretty fun sharing this girl with them.







It was an incredibly long night in the hospital that first night.  
Eric is showing it.

Our first visitors--my heroes of the day--Lori and Lydia slept over at my house that night to be with the girls.  Then they went home, got ready, and came to see her.

My girls love Lori and Lydia.  They may have been more happy to be with them than they were to get a new sister.  :)



Eric went home to get a few things for me and look who greeted him.
He texted me this picture while I sat in the hospital bed.
I know it's dumb, but I kept telling Eric that I wished Harry could be at the hospital with me, so I guess this was Eric's way of giving me the next best thing. :)


A funny picture accidentally taken after Harry snuck in a lick at Eric's head...His favorite thing.  



Uncle James and his new niece

Aunt Bethany and baby Gigi (I'll always call her "Baby Gigi") with Millie

On this particular morning, I was at the hospital, and the girls had to go to school.
So Eric got them ready.  I think he did a pretty good job, wouldn't you say?
He even had to do their hair.  He seemed confident with the job at hand.  :)

The morning of check out.
I love this picture.  She looks so tiny and perfect.

Going home!

in Andi's old carseat

First afternoon at home, wearing her preemie clothes and...

...cuddling Dad.

Flowers to smile at us while adjusting to our new circumstances

Flowers from Bethany

Heaven

Tired after all this new baby stuff

Lovin' on Dad





Her first outing was to Grandma Luke's house!

A new outfit to boot

Getting used to a new breakfast time companion

One of my favorite outfits that Grandma Luke got her...

....and one of my favorite nieces holding her like a pro.  I have loved watching Lydia with Millie.  She is so loving with her.

Abbey is a good big sister.  She's been my "right hand woman."


I think these two pictures are the coolest pictures I've ever seen.
One Saturday morning after the baby was born, Eric let me sleep in.
He fed the girls breakfast...."chocolate toast" as they like to call it.  Andi loves Nutella.
Meanwhile, upstairs, I received a text message with this picture attached.  The message said, "Why sooo serious?"
Andi the joker.  Very fitting.  Very fitting indeed.

Can't throw this away! 

Hangin' at Grandma Luke's on a Sunday evening with Bo, Lydi, and Millie.
Bowen seems to be very enamored with Millie.

Grandma Zimmerman meeting Millie for the first time

Ava and I getting used to new morning routines, taking care of the baby




I can definitely see a lot of me in this girl.  But in this particular shot, I see Eric.

Bathtime fun.
When I'm trying to lower her down into her bath seat, she always clutches onto my shirt as if she were holding on "for dear life."  She gets nervous!
But once she gets in the bath, she seems very content.  Loves that warm water.

Eric and my wedding anniversary is January 12th.  This year it came at a busy time (obviously), so I resorted to giving Eric a coupon booklet.

He just can't wipe that smile off his face...It's that good.
This smile of his makes me laugh so hard.  What a goof.

My mom and Kylie took me out to Robintino's for my birthday.
Kylie found Millie's baby headband in the diaper bag and put it on.  Ha!!  Had to get a picture of it.

I went to Andi's classroom one afternoon to help her with her "show and teach." I got to sit by her on her desk for a while.  I loved it!
I'll never forget Andi's "show and teach"...She taught the class how to make paper lanterns.
She did such a good job and showed a lot of assertiveness, leadership, and confidence.
So proud of her!

Grandma Cathi came to visit us one afternoon and she helped Andi hang up all of her paper lanterns in her room on a string.  Isn't it great?!


A pink burrito thanks to Eric

Baby Mills gettin' some love from Aunt Lori

My 33rd birthday.  My mom goes out of her way to make my birthday so special.  Love her.

My favorite boys

Hangin' out in her seat while I got ready.  I got her outfit from my friend Lyndzi.  So cute.

So so precious

At Grandma Luke's for my birthday celebration.  

Love my family.




Andi playing with her friend whose name is...ANDI!!  (Andrea, actually.)  A good friend from school!

I displayed some of my favorite birthday cards and a precious "book" that Eric and the girls made me for my birthday.  These kinds of things are what makes birthdays special....Cards, books, thoughtful notes.  Love it.

My mom and Cathi are the best.  They helped make my day so special.

Uncle Doug with his newest niece

Grandma Janet meeting her new granddaughter

Chillin' with Dad


Bathtime sweetness

This girl has been amazing since the baby was born.  So patient, chill, and flexible as we've been adjusting to the new addition.
One afternoon I painted her nails.  She was proud.  

Going to a Utah basketball game with Grandpa Luke.

Love love this.  I love my dad so dang much and having my girl sit next to him with her U. hat on....It just can't get any better.  Thanks Eric for the good shot.  He knew I'd appreciate the scene.

Cougar blood cheering for red.  Love it, Ladies!

Pretty cute! 
Ava's first Utah basketball game.

Meanwhile, back at home, I was coming down with my first (and unfortunately not my last) case of mastitis.  Worst. Sickness. Ever.
Truly.  I've never experienced anything like it.

But this scene makes it all worth it.


Getting ready for a visit to Mommy Sheri's grave.
Abbey is so thoughtful and kind.
She loves and honors her Mommy Sheri.  
Sheri, you are so loved.

A family gathering at the Zimmermans.

A doggie in need of some Daddy Eric lovin'.  (Even though Eric would never admit it, he can actually be quite cute with my little guy.)

A new snowblower equals an obnoxiously large box to make into a house with.
Months later, it still sits in our basement.  Boo!

Abbey at school on "Market Day." --A day where she sells something she makes.
Here she is with our neighbor and carpooling companion, Jony Jolley.

Here's Abbey with her Market Day partner and good friend, Anna.

Abbey made origami owls to sell.  (Her favorite!)

A Friday afternoon spent with dress-ups on and a "spa" for Mommy Lisa in the basement.
Love these girls.

A cute picture of Andi with her class.  Miss Tueller, her teacher, often sends cute pictures such as these.

This couch and this perspective pretty much sums up the majority of my January as I nursed this darling baby.  As tiring as it was at times, I'm not complaining.
She is a beautiful sight.
So grateful.


2 comments:

  1. I love watching you and your little family. So happy to see you enjoy the good things. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching you and your little family. So happy to see you enjoy the good things. Love you!

    ReplyDelete