"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Andi Birthday Letter



August 14, 2014


Dear Andi,

I love the tradition of writing you a letter each year at your birthday time. It gives me a chance to record some of the precious memories and thoughts I've had with you and about you this past year.

This past year (age 5) was a big year for you. You started kindergarten at Farmington Elementary. I will be honest in saying that it was very difficult for me when you started school because I knew I needed to start "letting go" of my precious baby who has been by my side during the most wonderful, pivitol, difficult, and joyful years of my life so far. I remember the night before you started kindergarten, we went to Grandma Luke's for dinner. I was so upset at the upcoming changes that I had a hard time keeping the tears back each time someone asked me about you starting school. I remember leaving early for home that night because I was afraid I would have a meltdown in front of everyone. :)

Even though I was hesitant to put you in kindergarten knowing that you'd be the youngest in your grade, you showed me how well you could handle it. Socially, you were more than ready. You made so many friends at kindergarten this year....Macey Gardner, Layla Anderson, Morgan ?, Kate ?, Brynlee?, etc. etc. You had Mrs. Huckins for your teacher and you did well academically. We have had to work a little this year so you could keep up, but you have been very responsive and you've glided right along in your school work. You enjoyed being at the same school as Abbey and seeing her at morning recess. Every time you guys would have a day of seeing each other, you'd both come home so excited to tell me that you got to be with each other at recess! You love your sisters and that makes me so very happy.

One of my favorite memories of your kindergarten year was coming in to volunteer for a few minutes each week to help with reading. When I'd walk in the room, you'd come towards me and give me a big hug. Those were wonderful moments that made me so happy to be your mom.

Besides kindergarten, we've made some fun memories together this year. Daddy Eric and I took you guys to Disneyland in February. It was such a fun trip! Your favorite ride was Pirates of the Caribbean (you went on it 4 times!) and you also loved going on the Ariel ride with me.

We got Cherry Hill season passes this summer so it's been fun to see you swim with your sisters and cousins. You've loved going each week and you've especially loved your newfound skill of going under water without plugging your nose. (You learned that at swimming lessons this summer.) You're really good at jumping into the pool. You swim with total exuberance! Totally reminds me of your Daddy Michael.

Just last week I got to take you on a special "mom-daughter" trip to Montana to visit Ron and Joann. Abbey and Ava stayed with the Zimmermans while we went up there to spend some time with your Grandpa Ron and Grandma Joann. We rode on a plane up there (it was a small plane and I just about puked!) We also went to a Farmer's Market, the Great Falls Children's Museum, and the Great Falls waterpark (you went down the slide many times with Grandpa and Grandma and you went down the "crazy river" with them.) They were so good to you while we were there...We celebrated your sixth birthday so they made clam chowder and strawberry shortcake for you...your favorites. We got to sleep in the same bed and you were so cuddly. My favorite memory of that trip was of when you would wake up and tickle my arm. You are so kind, thoughtful, mindful of those around you, and so fun and easy to be around. Those personality traits made it such a fun trip, but it's also those personality traits that makes you such a gift to have around. I say it often, I know, but you truly are a gift to me. How I love you.

You love Grandma Luke and we still call her every night. You love having sleepovers at her house and being with her and Grandpa. You have a special relationship with them unlike any other grandkid because of how involved they've been in your life. You love sleeping with Grandma in her bed and cuddling her..

This year you took soccer, gymnastics, tennis, dance, and swimming. Your favorite of those was dance and swimming. You also learned how to ride a two-wheel bike this summer. I was so proud of you when you began to grasp the bike thing...You worked hard and it paid off! I'm always so proud of you for wanting to do good things for yourself and those around you.

You love your sisters and you also love your Luke cousins. It's so fun seeing you play with all of them. You've even loved being with your cousin Gigi. You baby her and take care of her so well.

Andi, I thank you for being here on earth for me. Selfishly I seriously sometimes think you're here just for me. You bring so much joy to my soul. You give me reason to smile, you keep me bonded to your Daddy Michael, you are a joy to be around, and you wonderfully happy to all those around you.

Happy 6th birthday, my love, my angel, my everything. I'm here for you always, forever, and no matter what.

xoxo

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment