"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."
Saturday, August 2, 2014
Abbey's 8th birthday
July 26, 2014
My dearest Abbey Lynne,
I try to write a letter to each of you with each passing birthday. Unfortunately it has been over a month since your birthday, but I've been determined to eventually find time to just sit down and DO it. I am finding during this busy time in our family that my time to sit down, contemplate, and work in my office is not as easy as it used to be. I will admit that you and your sisters keep me very busy. I remember as a young girl, I often wondered what stay-at-home moms DID. I couldn't imagine it would be half as busy as my life is now. Even though I sometimes get frustrated that I don't have much time to myself, I want you to know that I wouldn't have it any other way. I adore you and feel so grateful to have you in my life. I may not always keep a smiling face as we carry on our day-to-day life, but I hope you know and feel that you and your sisters are a priority to me. I'm committed to you girls and I feel a great responsibility upon my shoulders to raise you well. I feel that Heavenly Father and your mother Sheri are putting great trust in me to let me have a hand in your life and to raise you as my daughter. You are indeed a dear daughter to me and I feel honored to be another mother to you. Please remember these things....That I am committed to you, that I feel much responsibility in being your mother, I am honored to do so, and that I am so very grateful for you.
I am sure that as you get older, things will change. I am sure that there will come a time when you are much more painfully aware of the fact that I am not your biological mother. I am sure there will be times when you question my parenting, when you wish Sheri was here, and when you don't feel all that loving towards me. I hope those things don't happen, but I know the nature of life and I know that you will have many different feelings to face as you get older. I pray from the depths of my heart that in those troubling times that you will remember those important things I mentioned: I am committed to you, I feel much responsibility in being your mother, I am honored to do so, and that I am so very grateful for you. I pray that you will use that knowledge to help you stay close to me and to stay close to your Heavenly Father. I know there is great power in staying close to both your earthly and Heavenly parents, even (especially) when you get older. I always want to be there for you, my dear girl.
This last month you were baptized. (Right on your birthday!--June 14th!) I want to share some memories I have of your special day:
--First of all, I put your hair in two pigtail french braids and then we had a beautiful white headband to match your gorgeous baptism dress that your Aunt Suzanne made. (Your Aunt Suzanne lives in Louisiana and made the dress just with the measurements I sent her. I turned out so nicely. She spent much time on it, and I know she did it with great love. She clearly felt so happy to do something for you. She loves you.)
--You had such a sweet demeanour the whole day. I could tell you felt the sacredness of the day and that you tried to honor that special fact. Part of the reason you knew it was a sacred day was because you always listen to your primary teachers so closely. You are a true believer and I can see that even now in the beginning stages of your life. You love learning about your Heavenly Father and you take much comfort and guidance from the Gospel. I am so proud of you for that reason. You have a purity about you that I pray you can hold on to for the rest of your life.
--After you were baptized, the baptism program commenced in the sacrament meeting room. You were baptized the same day as another boy in our ward, Cole Willis. His mom handed out index cards to all the attending family members (yours included) and asked them to write messages for you guys on it. It was such a good idea and I hope you can hold on to those papers. You are so lucky to have the support and love of four families, all of which expressed great love and support to you on those little cards. They all were very proud of you for making the choice to be baptized.
--Your dad baptized you and did such nice job. You stayed so calm during that time even though I knew it was a little nerve-wracking for you. Afterwards your grandpa, Scott Zimmerman, confirmed you as a member of the church. The blessing he gave you at that time was one I'll never forget. He expressed so much love. He reminded you that you have many, many people who love you and are here for you. He said that you have the support of two mothers, one on earth, and one in heaven. He said that you will be an example to many, that you will be a positive member of your community and nation as you go forth in your life. I felt the Spirit so strongly during that blessing and felt unlike any other time that Mommy Sheri and Daddy Michael were there and are a part of us...That we're all family.
--Your grandma Janet gave a talk at the baptism as well. She spoke on the ordinance of baptism and why it's so important. She talked about the blessing of having the Holy Ghost. She encouraged you to stay close to the Gospel and to use the Holy Ghost as your guide.
--After the baptism we went back to our house and had a big bbq for all our family members. We are lucky to have so many family members to share our special days with. It was indeed a special day with so much support offered from the Zimmermans, the Klein/Seethalers, the Allens, and the Lukes.
--That night after everyone left, we opened up the many, many gifts and treasures people gave you for your birthday and baptism. People were a little TOO generous, but I know they just wanted to honor you, the special day, and the good choice you were making in getting baptized. You loved their little gifts and I think it was so nice for you to feel so special. Then you rode your new bike that night as well and watched a movie with your sisters.
All in all, I think you had a great 8th birthday. (At least I hope so!) I hope that in remembering the day, you will be reminded of how much you are loved.
I think you are beautiful. Here are some reasons why:
1) You want to know more about God and you seek out spirituality in your life. That is so beautiful! What a soulful spirit you have.
2) You work hard at school, you listen at church, you work hard at piano, and you work hard at chores. In the morning, you are quick to get ready and do as I ask. You are an ambitious and motivated girl. My load is made so much easier (and this whole family's load is easier) because you are a part of it! You help work hard to be an example and to do the right things. What a wonderful blessing that is to your family and to you as well.
3) You are smart! You have a natural ability to learn quickly. You are a great reader and you are wonderful at math. It doesn't seem to take you too much effort to "get" stuff in school.
4) You are soft-hearted. You tend to be quite kind to those around you....Sensitive to their needs, constantly trying to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.
Abbey, my darling. I love you. Just like everyone else, you will have your challenges in life. I hope you know that I am here for you if you ever need to talk. I hope to stay close to you throughout your life. I don't have all the answers, but I do know there is great power in making good choices in life. The gift of the Holy Ghost that you just received is just that...a precious gift that can continually help you make good choices and give aide to you throughout your life here on earth. I know these things to be true.
Much love,
Mommy Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment