"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 11, 2016






Eric took the girls up to their new favorite local hiking destination--Flag Rock.  
It's above our house and the views never disappoint.  I've really enjoyed seeing Eric establish some hiking traditions with the girls.  They always come back with funny stories to share.

I've been trying to sit down and have some "independent reading time" with the girls each Saturday afternoon.  I'm enjoying the fact that they're getting to the ages where they can read a bit on their own, and being the English teacher that I am, I'm trying to encourage reading for enjoyment.  I've liked this routine a lot.  And it gives me a chance to read too--something I often have a hard time finding time for these days, even though I'm in the middle of at least five books right now.



The above pictures are from Ava's karate class.  
We signed her up for karate in December.  She has it twice a week and it's been such a good energy outlet for her.  She is a very energy-packed girl that seems to relate well to her karate posse.  I've also appreciated the way it challenges her listening and coordination skills.  
The pictures are of her during her "Belt Test."  She earned her yellow belt this last week!  We are proud to see her progressing and love that she's finding a "thing" to build confidence and be involved in.


Ava's "Yellow Belt" certificate!



My mom came over one morning last week just to see Millie get her morning bath.  Then she read to her.  I love these times and love that my parents live close enough to take part in these fun daily activities.  Warms my soul and makes me happy.  Millie loves her Grandma Luke.

It was a rough week for my mom--a neighborhood dog ATTACKED  her while she was taking her dogs for a walk.  Her arm got seriously munched on and she had to go get it a Tetanus shot and have it repaired.  Her body has already been through so much this year with all her major surgeries--it was hard to see her have to do this too.  She's my model of a tough woman.

My sister-in-law Bethany never fails when it comes to bringing me flowers.  Here's the latest arrangement she made for me for Mother's Day.  I love her so much and appreciate how committed she has been at bringing me flowers since Michael died.  I know she does it in his behalf.  Sometimes it really makes me feel like they're from him.  It's a true model of loyalty to her brother.  


Here we are visiting my mom one weeknight after her big dog bite.  We came over in our jammies before bed to see her arm and give cuddles.  These girls know that Grandma's bed is where you all cuddle and talk.


Here is Abbey holding Millie at one of our favorite restaurants--Robintino's in Bountiful.  
I checked Abbey out from school one day and took her there.  She has been so good at achieving a goal she's been working on, so she deserved the reward.  
I love our Abbey and the girl she is becoming.  She is also a very good big sister.  Millie feels safe with her.




I started a new Mother's Day tradition this year and I think it's a grand idea.
The week of Mother's Day, Millie and I took my mom to Maddox in Brigham City and then we went to the Brigham City cemetery and put flowers on her mom's and brother's graves.  (Including her other baby siblings.)  As I've gotten older, I have missed the regular trips up to Brigham that I'd often take with my mom and Grandma Bette.  Maddox was one of my Grandma Bette's favorite restaurants.  Grandma died when I was a senior in high school.  She found out she had a brain tumor in August and died by the end of October.  Although I was only 18 when she was gone, she was the only grandma I ever knew and I have many fond memories of her.  She's still very alive to me and I cherish the many memories made with her.  
Grandma Bette is buried in Brigham City cemetery next to her two babies who both died just days after their births.  (How I wish I could talk to her about those heart-wrenching experiences.)  She's also buried next to my Uncle Brent (my mom's brother) who died in 2001 in a drowning accident.  My Great Grandpa Iverson (Bette's dad) was once the sexton of the Brigham City cemetery and he even planted all the beautiful lilac bushes that makes that cemetery so famous.  I love that cemetery and the lilacs will always remind me of Grandma Bette.  We have other family members buried in that cemetery as well, including my Grandma Bette's parents, Dagmar and Ernest Iverson, and my Grandpa Carter's parents, Elma and Floyd Carter.  
My mom was very close to both her mom (Bette) and her brother (Brent) and it hasn't been easy adjusting to life without them.  My mom is my hero for many reasons.
I was happy to go there with her and honor our loved ones and talk about all the stories that made them who they were.
I was reminded in those conversations we had that day that we all have our stories and that we can learn a lot from our progenitors.
Something that really struck me once again was that my Grandma Bette was part of a blended family--just as mine is.  She had three older sisters and an older brother whose mother (Flora) died when they were young.  So my grandma Bette's father ended up marrying Dagmar (my great grandma and Bette's mom) and they had two more children together--my grandma Bette, and my great aunt Marion whom I love so much and was also like a grandma to me.

On the topic of family history, I received an email from my Grandpa Royce (my mom's dad) that had some neat pictures I think I should post:
These are my Great-Great Grandparents.  The Carters.  They are the parents of my Great Grandpa Carter.

These are also my Great-Great Grandparents--John and Roxy Wood, I believe.  They are my Great Grandma Carter's parents.
I love seeing these pictures in color.  What a treasure they are!


A video of Millie's latest walking antics.  Love to see her little body waddle through the house. 





Last Friday night we got to go to my sister Lori's house for her youngest son's sixthbirthday party (Noah.)
Above are a few pictures of the girls with their cousins, (including Noah), and Uncle Gabe.  



Eric ran a half-marathon with his brother Doug last weekend in Provo.  They did a great job and beat their last time by seven minutes!  Eric is in super good shape these days...So proud of him!
My favorite picture was the last one taken (right above) of a young man with unique running fashion. :)


Millie's new obsession is getting into my bathroom drawers and playing with my nail polish.  She loves to get all the little bottles out, carry them around, and stack them around my bedroom.  She's such a girl!

Millie is getting to the age where she is enjoying our play kitchen.  Andi loved these little cupboards and tables as well.  Here's Millie, serving me "food."  She mostly likes to just stack things in the cupboards.



The above pictures of Andi capture this girl so well these days.
Always dancing, performing, or dreaming up things to do and be and get.  
She just made that headband (by herself) and put it on like it was a crown.  She's also enjoying putting on a little lipstick and wearing it at home.  :)
She looks like such an Allen to me in these pics.
Love and cherish her uniqueness so much.



More Sunday night fun with Mom and Dad on the bed.  She's usually hyper-tired on these evenings and loves to pester us clear 'til bedtime.


Check out these pictures of Millie--with some pretty cute hair going on!  It's starting to grow in and is getting a bit easier to style.  (It's definitely my fine, wavy hair!)

Holding a sippy cup of juice and Elmer's glue that she found on my desk.  This girl loves bottles and carrying them around!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment