"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Friday, April 15, 2016

April 15, 2016

Enjoying the spring blossoms on our back trees.   The view from this window is always a stunning portrait of the season we're in.




The many cute angles of our General Conference buddy.




We went to Grandma Luke's for dinner a few Sundays ago and now that it's spring, the girls and their cousins are in Grandma and Grandpa's backyard in what they like to call "The Forest."  It's a wooded area in the very back.  The kids have built little huts, teepees, "firepits," and other fun things back there.  They LOVE the forest!!


Millie at Grandma's playing with cousin Bowen


Abbey and Ava's "house" in the forest


Andi and Chloe's "house" that Uncle Scott helped them build


Standing next to the teepee the boys built.






The above pictures are of Abbey's schoolwork as of late. If you look closely, you can see her meticulous and thoughtful work in her "Soil Journal."  Great attention to art and detail. 


Some of Andi's recent work.  One she made for me in her computer class, one she made in school that describes their beloved "forest."



We recently got out the toy grocery cart--She's now standing and enjoys leaning against things that are her heighth.  This week she's even begun standing by herself.  (She's 15 months and still not walking!  Ha!  She's getting there, though.  It's a surprise to me that she isn't because she is such a BUSY BODY!!!  Always on the move.
I was thinking the other day that part of the reason she isn't is, I'm sure, due to the fact that a good portion of her afternoons are usually spent doing errands with me, visiting teaching, grocery shopping, visiting Grandma, and being with friends.  Probably not enough time exploring on the floor at home.  :)

I took her to the doctor last week and her percentages are staying consistent--She's about 30% for height and 40% for weight.  She's always had a small head.  And another conclusion from the doctor visit:  She hates shots. 



One morning as I was giving Millie a bath, my mom called.  I told her I was giving Millie a bath.  About six minutes later my mom showed up at the doorstep, wanting to help me give her a bath and get her dressed.  I love that my mom wants to be with her.  Mom has been recovering quite well from her surgery and it's fun seeing her back at it, spending time with her grandkids again.  Millie clearly loves Grandma Luke and is very comfortable with her.  She loves to put on a show for Grandma and make her laugh.  (Not unusual for Millie...She loves to be the center of attention and get people to laugh at her!)




Last weekend Eric and I went on a date.  These are always times to be recorded.  It's not often we can get out and it's also not EASY getting prepped and to leave the kids with a sitter.  This night, Lydia, my niece, tended and we went to my brother-in-law, Scott's show that he and his band put on at the community center.  We even did dinner and a few other errands.







These were only about 1/3 of the pictures that I found on my phone after church last Sunday.  You can tell by the expression on Eric's face that he's very proud of his latest good idea to raz me.  And you can tell by Millie's face that she loves our phones!

More beauty outside the kitchen window.  This time it's the pink cherry blossoms I couldn't resist noticing.

The girls got their report cards this week and here is what their teachers wrote:
Ava's report card--I thought the teacher's words captured her well.  Proud of her progress.

Andi's report card--She's shown a lot of improvement!  So proud of her.


The two above are of Abbey's report card.  All 3's (A's) and look at that incredible reading score at the bottom!  Outstanding.

This is a picture of an email from Abbey's piano teacher.  If you look under the heading "AIM" you will see she listed those students who are involved in "AIM"--a state certified  music program that Abbey has gotten involved in.  Abbey's piano teacher has many, many students and I was impressed to see just a handful of them are involved in AIM.  AIM is usually offered to those who can handle the extra responsibility and who have the skill and drive to do so.  That's Abs!




I love getting to know the many expressions on this beautiful face.  (I'm not biased, I know.)
She made waiting in line at Costco much more interesting and fun.





The above are baby pictures of my dad.  The other night someone told us how much Millie reminded them of him.  I definitely think she has both Klein and Luke in her, but I can see similarities between her and my dad for sure.  (Maybe it's just the chub, I don't know!)  One thing I do know is that she has Luke eyes and a Luke nose.  Us humans are God's art, I tell you.

Enjoying more of the beauty of the season




I know there are a million pics of her but the way I see it, every picture is worth sharing.  Each expression shows a lot. One thing these pictures all show is that she loves CHEESE!
Lately she has become very stubborn when it comes to eating.  If it's something new (or meat or potatoes or pretty much anything but select veggies, fruit, and cheese) she absolutely REFUSES to eat.
It's made our evenings really fun.  She's super hungry (and cries in her agony) while we somehow try to get dinner, dishes, baths, and homework done.
Bedtime has become a long-awaited event for me at the end of these treacherous evenings.
Eric has been quite helpful though and was even able to coax her into eating her taco the other night.  Love seeing him play daddy so well.


One thing's for sure...She doesn't like to get too far away from me.  If I'm trying to sit on my bed and get a few things done on the computer, this is where she plants herself--right on the floor next to me.  It doesn't matter how many toys I get out, she just gets a pillow and jibber jabbers at my feet.  So sweet.

I am often astounded at how full our lives remain.  There is always so very much to do, to be, and to think about.  I often find myself tired and wishing for some more rest, but then I think about what it will be like when the kids no longer live at our home and how empty that feeling might be.  The usual thought process of a mom, I suppose.

To add more to the mix, Eric and I have spent much time the past while trying to figure out if we're done having kids or not.  I never thought (not even a LITTLE) that this would be a question for us...I figured having Millie would be pushing it as it was.  Thinking about this led me to think more about when I should get my Masters.  Having these questions on the table to think about has, to be honest, really rocked my world.  I just can't seem to wrap my head around it at all.  I am torn in every way.  After several months of going back and forth with it all, I've decided to just drop the issue and revisit the topic next year.  

I don't usually love to get super personal and share more than people may want to know, but I mention this because it's been a learning experience for me thus far as I've tried to find answers.  As I mentioned a month or so ago, I feel like I'm facing some heavy questions about my life right now and about the life of our family.  It has forced me to rely on the Spirit more for comfort and guidance and strength.  
One thing is for sure--I do not have all the answers.  But today, I have more quotes.  (My favorite thing.)
And today, I'll take the guidance and comfort they offer....

"In the strength of the Lord we can move forward to do what He wants done, paying no heed to ridicule and scorn, taking no counsel from our fears, setting doubt aside, overcoming discouragement with hope, and resisting temptation with faith in Christ."--Kim B. Clark

"At first, perhaps, you can understand what [God] is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof. . . . But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that . . . does not seem to make sense. . . . He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of. . . . You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

--C.S. Lewis





No comments:

Post a Comment