"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Happy Birthday Leslie!

My oldest sister Leslie is undoubtedly one of my best friends.  She's eight years older than me so I don't have a lot of memories of spending time with her when I was young.  I only remember the nickname she had for me in those days:  Chmonsky.  I can still hear her calling me that.
But once I hit about age 20, she quickly became my best bud and confidant.  I discovered how much I loved spending time with her.  She's become my favorite person to laugh with (we totally get each other's humor), and she's my therapist as well.  (Not everyone could handle such a title.) 
The past few years I've seen a side of Leslie that has impressed me so deeply.  She's always been loving and kind person, but it seems she's developed an even stronger ability to feel and show compassion. 
For instance, she's such a loving mom and aunt.  She takes such an interest in my girls.  They love talking to her and they can't wait 'til the next time they see her.  She braids their hair and talks girl talk with them all the time.
But even more than that, she's really been there for me since Michael died.  She often made a point of spending time with me during that first year after his death.  She was sure to call and check up on me the days we didn't see each other.  She's listened to my constant tears of grief and pain, and she's cried along with me in those moments.  Perhaps it's unfortunate for her that I feel so comfortable in confiding in her, but I'm quite sure I do it because I don't feel judgment around her.  Just love and understanding. 
So grateful for that.
And another thing--She's an amazing artist. I know people say that all the time about other people, but I am honest in saying that she is incredibly talented creatively and artistically.  She often downplays that side of herself, and I wish she wouldn't.  She's incredible.

Nowadays we don't see each other as often as I'd like, but I always look forward to Sunday dinners and cabin getaways when we can hang. 

Love you, Les!  Happy birthday August 2nd!
Here she is braiding Lydia's hair at the cabin.  Summer of '09.  (Andi's the baby on the left side.)

I took this picture at Mom's a few years back when Chloe was just a baby.  I've loved watching how much Leslie has loved being pregnant and having her babies.

Les taking care of my Andi in Bear Lake 2012.

The Francis Fam goin' on a tandem bike ride with us in Bear Lake, summer 2012.  So cute. 

2 comments:

  1. Sisters are the best, aren't they? I am lucky to have 2 older sisters and one younger. I love em!! I can't believe how hard core Eric is!! He is a total inspiration! I thought my 30 minutes on the eliptical this morning was hard core but guess not. I need to follow his example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog. You and my mom are my only readers. I don't update it too often but I'm glad I have a place to express my nerdy side! :-) Anyway, you are often in my prayers Lisa. I put your name in the Columbia River Temple prayer roll for the next two weeks. How do you feel this time of year with back to school? I feel so ready for the classroom! Kinda a bummer I'm not teaching right now sometimes. I think I'll go back as soon as I feel like my kids are all married in the temple. Ha! I don't know, I debate about going back when my kids are in school but I worry so much about not being there for them during the tough teens and early 20s. My mom was always there for me. It's a tough call. But I do love teaching!

    ReplyDelete