"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

"The love of family is life's greatest blessing."

Friday, September 25, 2015

Abbey Birthday Letter (belated)

Abbey, my Shining Star!

This past year has been a big year for you as you've experienced life as an eight year old.  Here are some things that have happened for you this last year:

--Your baptism was awesome!  You learned intently of your new responsibilities as a new member of our church and you've shown to honor those responsibilities.  You're continuing to grow into a really good person--a daughter Heavenly Father would be so proud of.  During your 8 year-old year, I was really busy either being pregnant or taking care of a new baby.  You have been willingly helpful as we have gone through this journey together.  You are consistently and willfully obedient to your parents and your teachers.  You want to do what's right--You read scriptures with Dad and I, you want to pray, you want to serve.  You want to learn at school and you are kind to those around you.
I tell you thank you as much as I can but sometimes I wonder if you really know how grateful I am for you!  You have a heart of gold that has blessed my life and this family's life so very much.

--Your 3rd grade teacher was Mrs. Wyckoff.  I'll never forget your face when you found out you got her as your teacher.  You were soooo happy!  You knew she was the teacher you wanted because she taught your class math during 2nd grade.  You also knew that being in her class meant that you were considered a "high achiever" amongst your peers.  That is very true, and becomes more and more apparent as you grow.  You do very well in school and the teachers can see of your great abilities and your high sense of responsibility.  Academics seem to come quite easy for you.
You enjoyed your year with Mrs. Wyckoff and she grew to love you.  She really encouraged you to come out of your shell.  She nearly forced you to talk more in class, and as hard as it was, I know you tried hard to do so.  I was so proud of you.  On one of your report cards we got back from her, the comments section said, "I love you, Abbey!" and I knew she was sincere in saying so.  You are easy to love.

--When you were 8 1/2, you started taking piano from a new teacher.  This new teacher's name is Jill Gubler and she is the real deal!  She takes her piano teaching very seriously and we couldn't have found a better match for you.  Your piano skills have blossomed.  You've had to do two recitals already.  With each one, you admitted you were "nervous-ited."  I could tell that was true--a little nervous but actually quite excited too!  You know you have talent and you were excited to share it with others.  You memorize songs without any struggle.  You seem to truly enjoy piano.

--You got a new room downstairs!  Your new room is next to Andi's room, and you guys have your own little space down there.  You easily adjusted to your new surroundings and we carried on your yellow theme with the new space as well.

--You got a new iPod for Christmas and I've enjoyed your new texting abilities!  Sometimes when we had busy evenings, Dad would tuck you in before I could even say goodnight to you, so I loved being able to text back and forth with you before bedtime.

--You became a big sister for the third time!  I was so pregnant and big all throughout the holidays, and then on January 3rd, your baby sister Amelia was born.  You were so sweet with her, anxious to hold her, and help.  By the time February and March came around, it became clear that having a new baby in the house was taking a toll on you.  You were eager and insistent to have some alone time with me.  As overwhelmed as I was, I was glad that you were brave enough to express that.  It was during those tender months of bringing Millie into this world that we had some alone times I'll never forget.  Lots of bonding and tender conversations about when you were born and your Mommy Sheri.  We read from your Mommy Sheri's blog quite a bit.  You had more questions about your mom than you ever had before.  Getting older does that to you, I'm sure, not to mention having a new baby around.  I will admit that it can be overwhelming to share this journey with you, but I would never have it any different and feel so honored to be your mom.
Something I've been wanting to tell you is that my dad, Grandpa Luke, lost his dad when Grandpa was just three years old--Just the same age as you were when your Mommy Sheri died.  His dad died in a plane accident.  From then on, my dad lived life without a father.  His mom never remarried and his family rarely spoke of his dad.  As I have gotten older and have taken more interest in my dad's life, I have learned just how difficult it was for my dad to not have a dad.  He told me he used to lock himself in his closet and cry for hours because he didn't have a dad.  I don't blame him.
Your life is much different than my dad's--I'm thinking and hoping it's better than his was.  Regardless, I want you to know that I know your loss is real.  It will always be something you carry with you.  I hope you I am always here for you and will always be.  I hope you can feel like you can talk to me if you need to.  I don't know what it's like (yet) to lose a mom, but I know what it's like to lose people who are very, very close to you and I know how difficult that can be.  I hope you know that your dad is there for you too, along with countless family members that love you so dearly.  Most importantly, you have a Heavenly Father that loves you and will help you along your journey if you turn to Him for that help.

--You took swimming lessons (again), skiing lessons, you learned how to skate on rollerblades really well, and you got to be a great biker on your killer new bike you got when you turned eight.  You're getting better and better at each activity you take on!

--Your Grandma and Grandpa Zimmerman were home all during your 8 year old year, so you got to spend some extra time with them.  You slept over a few times, got to see them over the holidays, and even saw them on an almost monthly basis for family gatherings.

I love you, Abbey, and look forward to many more years to come!

Love,
Mom


A summary of your life as an 8 year old!  


No comments:

Post a Comment