Dad,
Since the girls are telling you about some of the reasons why they love you, I want to do the
same. Lately I've been thinking a lot about you and about how you're building quite the legacy for
yourself. If I were to explain that legacy in a few short words, I think I would say that you're
building a legacy of love and understanding, a legacy full of family memories, and a legacy of
optimistic endurance.
You have an unfailing ability to offer love and understanding to those around you. I suppose
that's why so many kids loved you at Bountiful High....You have an ability to understand and
sympathize with people in a way that not a lot of others can do. You know that life is complicated
and you aren't quick to judge. I have felt that sympathy and understanding a lot from you as your
daughter. That understanding and belief in me has made me feel like you "have my back" so to
speak, and that's given me a lot of comfort. Thank you for showing belief in me and offering
understanding in all of my ups and downs, even though I realize it hasn't always been easy to not
question me at times. In addition, you continually offer understanding towards members of my
little family, which inspires me to do the same and keep working towards the worthy goals of
being a good wife, mother, and/or person.
You've also gotten to be so good at facilitating wonderful memories for all of us to share. The
boat, the cabin, the wave runners, the tramp...They are all examples of your belief in the old
adage, "Make memories to last a lifetime." Especially the last five or so years, it seems you've
put some serious concerted effort into making memories with your family, and I want you to
know that effort is paying off. I already cherish so many of the memories we've made in Bear
Lake. And I gratefully and fondly think of your backyard and tramp as a continual source of
memories for all of us. While I treasure each of these memories made, I have to say that some
of my most poignant memories have been made not with or because of the cabin or the tramp or
whatever. Rather, some of those poignant memories were made at some of the hardest times
of our lives when you've offered me and/or my Andi such love and understanding. It's that same
love and understanding I referred to before, and I'm so grateful for it.
You have also set a good example for me as you've shown continual optimism while
encouraging me to keep moving forward and to keep seeing the good things. This message of
optimistic endurance is powerful because I know you try to practice what you preach. I'm
making an educated guess in saying that there have been many times you've been stuck in
some pretty tough times, but you've continued to trudge forward and to focus on the good.
Thank you for setting that powerful example to me, Dad. I've needed such inspiration and I
imagine I will continue to need it as life continues.
I hope my words (as cheesy as they are) are helping you see that you're making a difference.
There have been many times when I've felt bad for my friends who apparently lack the kind of
dad that I have, and it has made me feel pretty darn spoiled.
Thank you for spoiling me in all the ways that you do, and happy Father's Day. :)
Lisa



No comments:
Post a Comment